27 February 2014

Photoshop Tips! Reducing shine through simple retouching.

Thought it was about time I posted something a) not about Cuba b) that other people mind find useful (!). As much as I want you all to look at and appreciate my photos, always good to mix it up with some handy tips (and still looking at my photos!!).

In this post I am going to give you some simple Photoshop tips for removing those annoying areas of shine on a face! So, here's the original photo:


I love the high contrast of the lighting in this image. As my lovely model Dorian said, it represents the way he see's his only personality, with a very dark side! There isn't much call for retouching with this image but I wanted to get rid of the slight shine there is on the left of his face from the lighting and you'll be pleased to hear this is really, really simple to do.

First, create a new layer in Photoshop (Layer -> New -> Layer) and name it 'Retouch'.

Next you need to click on eye dropper tool icon. Move your cursor over to the an area of the skin that isn't shiny, but close to your problem area and click. In the photo I'm using, I clicked on the skin just below the cheek bone. It'll bring up a big round circle with two colours in like the picture below:



Then change from the eye dropper tool to the paint brush tool and reduce the opacity to around 10% (you can play around with this but I think no higher than 10% works best, otherwise it can end up looking unnatural).

Zoom in to your photo (cmd/ctrl and +) to about 200% so you can make small, accurate adjustments a little at a time.
Paint over the area of shine, a little at a time and toggle on and off the layer to check your progress and see if you need to go over the area again.

When you move to a different part of the skin, repeat the process of finding the nearest area of skin without any shine, using the eye dropper tool to match the skin tones, and then changing to paint brush to paint over the area.

And here is my final product. Just a teeny tweak here and there which improves the overall image!


All content ©FeistyFotos. Please do not copy or use without permission. With thanks to my model Dorian Payne.

No comments:

Post a Comment